University of Maryland - Process modelling practice development case study
Enabling a larger community of process improvement professionals
The University of Maryland (UMD), College Park is a public research university located in the city of College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland, approximately 4 miles from the northeast border of Washington, D.C.
The University Process Innovation (UPI) department within UMD has been helping various departments across UMD to solve process related problems and issues. However, UPI needed assistance in formalizing their methodology and articulating their value proposition
Leonardo Consulting assisted UMD Process Innovation by:
- Conducting a problem assessment workshop with UPI Director and team members
- Facilitating a strategy discovery with UPI Director
- Defining UPI’s high level value proposition. Specifically, their key value was divided in Perspective, Approach and Tools
- Conducting workshops to elicit UPI’s project delivery methodology
- Supporting UMD UPI in identifying tools and templates required to for UPI’s internal control and governance processes
The benefits delivered to UMD Process Innovation Department by our team were.
- A clear articulation of UPI’s value proposition which positions UPI effectively in their client’s problem solving journey/process. This also promotes UPI as a value adding service aiming to improve processes of their internal clients.
- The formalization of UPI’s methodology allowing for consistent and efficient delivery of projects by current and future members of the team.
- A tools and template identification / analysis that resulted in appreciation of formal instruments that enable a larger community of process improvement professionals across UMD (in line with strategic direction of UPI)